AN INVITATION TO JOIN THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
We invite you to watch the following video to learn more about becoming a member of the Knights of Columbus.
WHO CAN JOIN THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS?
Membership in the Knights of Columbus is open to all men ages 18 and older who are practical Catholics in union with the Holy See.
What constitutes a “practical Catholic”?
- A practical Catholic accepts the teaching authority of the Catholic Church on matters of faith and morals, aspires to live in accordance with the precepts of the Catholic Church, and is in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- A practical Catholic strives to have a greater knowledge of the teaching of Christ and his Church, and to accept, respect and defend the Church’s authority (vested in the Supreme Pontiff, the hierarchy and clergy united with him) to teach, govern and sanctify the faithful.
- A practical Catholic gives material and moral support to the Church and her works on all levels, promoting the programs of the parish and diocese and coming to the aid of the missions, the needy and the underprivileged; supports and advances the just causes of minority groups; endeavors to eliminate unjust discrimination, prejudice, etc.; and supports the Church in her defense of marriage and family life.
The seven precepts of the Catholic Church are as follows:
- To attend Mass on ALL Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation
- To fast and abstain from meat on appointed days.
- To confess one’s sins at least once a year.
- To receive Holy Eucharist (Communion) during Easter time.
- To contribute to the support of the Church.
- To observe the laws of the Church concerning marriage.
- To join in the missionary spirit and apostolate of the Church.
WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF ME IF I BECOME A MEMBER?
Of course, we would LOVE it if you were to become an active member of our council – attending each monthly meeting and regularly volunteering for council activities. This is NOT required, however! Some members do choose to do these things as much as possible. For others, time can be very limited – and we understand that! If you’re only able to attend the occasional meeting – that’s OK! If you’re able to volunteer for some activities, but not for others – that’s OK too! It really is up to YOU to decide what level of activity and involvement you wish to have as a Knight. There are annual membership dues for each council, and dues for the current year must be paid in order to ensure that your membership with the Knights of Columbus is active and valid. As a member you will have the ability to purchase insurance through the Knights of Columbus, however this is NOT required for membership and you will NOT be pressured to purchase insurance.
Got questions? Interested in meeting with or talking with a member of our Council to learn more before making a decision? Or perhaps you already know that you’re ready to join? Contact us at GrandKnight@BrookfieldKnights.org and we will be in touch with you as quickly as possible to answer any question you might have and/or to arrange meeting to fill out the necessary forms and paperwork.